Speaker Tobin: IRC Draft Map Fails Constitutional Muster
See Speaker Andy Tobin’s op-ed in today’s Arizona Republic on the Independent Redistricting Commission:
“I have intentionally not commented on the work of the Independent Redistricting Commission until now, hoping its members would follow their constitutional duty of providing fair maps with independence and transparency. Unfortunately, this has not happened. The draft map adopted by three of the commissioners flunks the standards set forth in the Arizona Constitution.
Whether Republican, independent or Democrat, the initiative requires maps that clearly contain the following:
- Equal population.
- Compliance with the U.S. Constitution and federal Voting Rights Act.
- District shape and geographical features.
- Respect for communities of interest.
- Compact and contiguous districts.
- Competiveness not at the expense of the other criteria.
The draft map fails to pass constitutional muster for several reasons…”